Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt Say They’re Still ‘Displaced’ Over a Year After California Wildfires—as They Reveal Toll of Their Home Loss on Kids

by Charlie Lankston

skyline-of-jacksonville

Former reality stars Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt have revealed that they still do not have a permanent place to live—more than a year after they lost their Pacific Palisades property in the 2025 California wildfires.

Montag, 39, and Pratt, 42, who share two sons, Gunner, 7, and Ryker, 3, were among several celebrities whose homes were razed in the devastating blazes, which left 100,000 residents displaced in the immediate aftermath of the fires.

But unlike many stars who had second homes to move to, or ample funds to finance temporary living while they rebuild, the couple says they cannot afford to pay for construction of a new dwelling, admitting they put down almost all the money they had just on the down payment.

Speaking to Gold Derby, former "The Hills" star Montag confessed that she and her husband had barely been able to keep up with their monthly mortgage payments on the property, which they purchased for $2.5 million in 2017.

"Unfortunately for rebuilding, we just don’t have the finances. We barely could pay the mortgage on that house," she said. "We spent our whole careers to put a down payment on it."

Heidi Montag, Ryker Pratt, Spencer Pratt and Gunner Pratt attend Disney On Ice Presents Let's Dance! at Crypto.com Arena on December 20
Former reality stars Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt have revealed that they still do not have a permanent place to live—more than a year after they lost their Pacific Palisades property in the 2025 California wildfires. (Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Feld Entertainment, Inc.)
Spencer Pratt House
The couple purchased their home (seen before the wildfires) for $2.5 million in 2017 but they say they cannot afford to rebuild it. (Google Maps)

The fires have left Montag and Pratt in limbo, she added, admitting that her family still feels very much "displaced."

"We’re unfortunately in a place where we aren’t looking to rebuild, and we’re not really sure where to go. We’re kind of displaced at the moment," she said. "People don’t realize that a lot of people can’t rebuild."

Montag highlighted the changing landscape of the Palisades' housing market, noting that many of her neighbors have found themselves in a similar position—having purchased their dwellings decades ago, when house prices in the area were much lower.

"A lot of families bought their houses 40 or 50 years ago when it was a much cheaper part of L.A.," she explained. "It’s only recently become this enclave of luxury housing. It was never Beverly Hills before. A lot of these were generational homes that were passed down, and they can't rebuild. Unfortunately, for us right now, it's just not looking hopeful."

The pop star—whose husband announced earlier this year his plans to run for Los Angeles mayor in the 2026 election, against incumbent Karen Bass—revealed that one of the most heartbreaking parts of her family's situation is the toll that it has taken on her young children.

"I think it's really hard for my 3-year-old," she shared. "He keeps asking to go home and I'm like, it's not there. He says, 'I'll push it back up. I'm strong.' Every animal he sees, he says their house burned down. So it's really continuing to affect him a lot."

The devastating fires, which broke out Jan. 7, 2025, destroyed thousands of homes and claimed the lives of 31 people, according to official records.

The two largest blazes—the Palisades fire and the Eaton fire—ripped through entire communities, razing hundreds of properties, many of which remain nothing more than empty lots.

Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and Altadena were all heavily impacted by the blazes, which erased an estimated $8.3 billion in home value from these areas, according to a data analysis by Realtor.com®.

TikTok/Spencer Pratt
Pratt shared video of the blaze approaching his home just moments before they were evacuated. (TikTok/Spencer Pratt)
TikTok/Spencer Pratt
The reality star has slammed California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass for their handling of the fires. (TikTok/Spencer Pratt)

Pratt has been an outspoken critic of the way in which the wildfires were handled by California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Mayor Bass, revealing in January that he felt he had been forced into politics by his desire to bring about change for the victims of the blazes.

"I never wanted to be mayor," Pratt said during an interview with "Fox & Friends". "I don't want to be in politics. I want to be back in my house with my family.

"These people in charge should have resigned January 7, January 8, and I was waiting for somebody to step up and go after these people and nobody did, so I was like, 'OK, well, it's my job to do that.'"

Pratt, a Republican, first revealed his mayoral ambitions during an event called "They Let Us Burn!" that was held in L.A. in early January to commemorate the first anniversary of the wildfires. 

The launch of his political campaign also coincided with the release of his new tell-all book, titled "The Guy You Loved to Hate: Confessions from a Reality TV Villain," prompting Bass to accuse Pratt of only running for mayor in a bid to promote the tome and increase sales.

"The book has nothing to do with the journey [Bass] put me on by letting my house burn down," Pratt fired back during his appearance on "Fox & Friends."

He also rejected the notion that he is a single-issue candidate concerned only about his star-studded community.

"What everyone in Los Angeles should be concerned about is these city leaders are fine with letting people burn alive, covering it up," said Pratt, adding that he is also alarmed by quality-of-life issues affecting parts of L.A., including homelessness and drug use.

"Anybody that drives around the streets of L.A. … we’re in the darkest times ever," he stated.

In April 2025, Pratt further voiced his anger over the wildfires when he revealed that his parents had been forced to put their destroyed family home on the market after living there for four decades.

Spencer Pratt on Fox & Friends
In January, Pratt announced his plan to run against Bass in the upcoming mayoral election. (Fox & Friends)
Spencer Pratt Reveals Parents Have Been 'Forced' to Sell Palisades Home Destroyed In Wildfires—Claiming It Will Cost Them '$10 Million to Rebuild'
He revealed in April that his parents had been forced to list their longtime Pacific Palisades property after it was destroyed in the blazes. (TikTok/Spencer Pratt)

"After 40 years in the Palisades my parents were forced to put our family home (dirt) up for sale today," he wrote on TikTok, while sharing images of the decimated property.

The former MTV star went on to state that his parents had bought the home for just $400,000—although records indicate that it was last purchased in 1987 for $840,000 and is currently registered to William and Janet Pratt.

They put the land on which their home once sat on the market for $4.93 million at the end of March, with the listing describing the 8,147-square-foot lot as a "rare opportunity to rebuild," adding that the structure that was previously there had been "a cherished home for over 37 years."

However, records show that the property was taken off the market in December after undergoing a significant price reduction that brought the ask down to $4 million.

In late January, President Donald Trump signed an executive order enabling the federal government to take over the cleanup and rebuilding efforts from the California wildfires, which caused tens of billions of dollars worth of losses to homes and property.

In the Jan. 27 order, Trump leapfrogged local government officials in order to allow the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Small Business Administration to start expediting permitting and approvals of homes.

The White House has vowed that this move will speed up rebuilding efforts for properties destroyed in the Palisades and Eaton fires—as residents continue to voice frustration with the pace of cleanup and rebuilding efforts.

Trump has now pledged to end that "nightmare of delay, uncertainty, and bureaucratic malaise as they remain displaced from their homes."

The order, which was first reported by the California Post, requires preliminary regulations put forth within 30 days. Final regulations are due within 90 days. They must allow permits, waivers, reviews and approvals to be conducted in a way that expeditiously promotes rebuilding, states the order.

"I want to see if we can take over the city and state and just give the people their permits they want to build," Trump told the Post.

Keith Francis

"My job is to find and attract mastery-based agents to the office, protect the culture, and make sure everyone is happy! "

+1(904) 874-2066

keith@roundtablerealty.com

1637 Racetrack Rd # 100, Johns, FL, 32259, United States

GET MORE INFORMATION

Name
Phone*
Message

By registering on this website, you hereby grant permission to Round Table Realty, its affiliates, and its agents to contact you via email, text message, telephone, and other communication methods, including but not limited to mass communication systems, unique communication systems, and automated or artificial intelligence systems. Such communications may be for the purposes of responding to inquiries, providing real estate services, marketing, or other business-related matters.

You acknowledge that these communications may include autodialed or prerecorded messages and that you consent to receiving such communications at the email address and phone number(s) you provide, even if your phone number is on a state or national Do Not Call registry. Message and data rates may apply.

This consent is not a condition of any purchase or transaction. You may revoke your consent to receive such communications at any time by notifying us in writing or using the opt-out mechanisms provided in the communication.

Florida-Specific Notice:
Pursuant to Florida law, you are hereby informed that your contact information may be used to provide information about real estate services, listings, and related topics. Round Table Realty complies with all applicable federal and state laws, including the Florida Telephone Solicitation Act (FTSA), and takes measures to ensure the security and confidentiality of your contact information.

For more information about our policies or to exercise your rights under applicable laws, please see our Privacy Policy.

By clicking “I'm Finished” or completing the registration process, you affirmatively acknowledge that you have read and understood this disclosure and consent to the above terms.